Senior Data Scientist (Content)
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2023
Mobi builds technologies that expand the human ability to navigate the world.
Mobi’s core ability is to model decision-making through a planning platform to solve complex problems for the individual and at scale that the human brain can’t solve alone. Mobi’s AI planning platform integrates robust data sets capable of fleet efficiency optimization, business process automation, as well as guiding travelers to the tastiest meals and off-the-beaten-path experiences worldwide. Mobi’s ability to solve tough problems at scale is being used by the world’s largest brands.
Founded in the research labs of MIT in 2012, we work, build, and learn together at our headquarters in Somerville, MA. We’re proud to be backed by an outstanding group of investors, Firefly Venture Partners, RPM Ventures, and Enterprise Holdings, who share our commitment to building transformative travel technologies.
Working at Mobi
We welcome people with a range of backgrounds, identities, passions, and skills. We believe that difference breeds creativity. We know it’s not enough to hire people with diverse points of view: it is crucial to cultivate a culture of continued conversation. We are woman-led, and many identities are represented by the current team.
Our work is centered on four core values:
* Build with Care: We incorporate environmental and socially sustainable values in everything we build.
* Center Diversity: We celebrate diversity on the team and through the products and partnerships we create.
* Share Knowledge: We publish, speak, and consult to share as much knowledge as possible.
* Real > Virtual: We build technology that unlocks real-world experiences.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be pivotal in developing our core POI characterization models, taxonomies, and their foundational infrastructure. Your expertise will be channeled into research areas such as entity creation, relationship estimation for myriad travel-related concepts, and embedding these into real-world travel and transportation planning systems.
Familiarity with theoretical and practical models in these areas is essential. You’ll get to implement and refine machine learning, mostly NLP-based and knowledge graph models, for temporal, spatial, and feature characterizations of point-of-interest data.
Your daily responsibilities will encompass harnessing natural language processing to extract patterns from vast data collections, developing rule-based algorithms from unstructured texts, and utilizing PyTorch for deep learning models in text classification. Delve deep into text processing with tools like NLTK and SpaCy and use dynamic programming for efficient entity matching. You'll guide less tech-savvy team members through intricate data analyses, continually optimizing our data processing pipelines, and providing invaluable insights that shape our product direction.
The ideal candidates will have the following traits:
- M.Sc. or above. in Data Science, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Experience with modern machine learning models, network optimization algorithms, and the latest research trends.
- 4+ years of writing production-quality code as a software engineer and 2+ years of relevant academic research or industry experience developing algorithms and building models.
- Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art approaches for at least one of natural language processing, operations research, or constraint programming.
- Strong programming skills with programming languages such as Java, C++, or Python.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent creative problem-solving skills.
Benefits & Perks
Competitive Base Salary + Annual Bonus
Comprehensive Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, and Vision) for you and your family, covered mostly by the company.
Company-paid Disability and Life Insurance
Paid Parental Leave (for all types of parents and families)
Equity ownership in the company
Generous Paid Time Off + $1,000 Bonus for taking 5 consecutive days off
Flexibility to work anywhere in the world for one month a year
Cell Phone & Transportation Reimbursement
Lunch daily from local Davis Square restaurants
Cozy office environment with a full kitchen, massage chairs, live plants, and much more!
Mobi hires those who are willing to work either full-time in the office or on a hybrid schedule.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees, and former employees are protected from employment discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.